British American Tobacco (BAT) is a leading multinational company. Sustainability is at the heart of their transformation journey as they build A Better Tomorrow™ by reducing the health impact of their tobacco business.
BAT sustainability and environmental goals is to eliminate unnecessary single-use plastic and make all plastic packaging reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2025. By 2030, achieve carbon neutrality for their business activities and by 2050, for their value chain*.
The following results are achieved so far:
- 30.9% reduction in Scope 1 and 2 emissions, contributing to a total 37.4% reduction against 2017 baseline; climate risk scenario analysis for major tobacco-growing markets*
- 10.8% reduction in water withdrawn, contributing to a total 22.5% reduction against 2017 baseline*
- Over 99% wood used for tobacco curing by their contracted farmers is from sustainable sources*
- 82% of their plastic packaging is reusable, recyclable or compostable*
BAT applies the circular economy principle to all their operations to eliminate waste sent to landfills. They recycle over 90% of their total waste.
* BAT ESG report 2020, ESG roadmap for A Better Tomorrow
» Read more about BAT here
As a member of the Circular Plastics Alliance, they would like to ensure that their products end up at the right place in order to recycle as much of their packaging as possible. Bring awareness of the recycling possibilities of their products. They expect to reduce the number of used products to end up as landfill or being incinerated, and instead being recycled.
BAT enriches the Circular Plastics Alliance with sharing knowledge with other companies and identify opportunities for innovative solutions. This makes BAT a unique and valuable addition to our Alliance.